- The Capitals killed off all 3 Toronto plays and have allowed only 1 power play goal against in the last 5 games. The Washington power play is still sputtering going 0 for 2 in the contest.
- Braden Holtby took the #1 Star honors with 34 saves on 35 shots and really frustrating the Leaf shooters.
- The Capitals blocked a season high 27 shots. Mike Green and John Erskine lead the team with 4 each. Alex Ovechkin tyed a career high with 3 blocked shots including laying out in front of Dione Phaneuf in the closing minutes of the game.
- The defensive tandem of Green and Jeff Schultz did pretty well on the night with 1 assist and a +3 rating each.
- Nicklas Backstrom had assists on two of the Ovechkin goals and Jason Chimera and John Carlson each had 1 assist.
- Interesting note: the Capitals as a team are shooting at 8.8% which is the second lowest in team history. In the 1998-1999 season the team shot a franchise low 8.4% and even in their inaugural year when the won just 8 games, they still shot 9.8%.
- The Capitals remain 1 standings point behind the Tampa Bay Lightning for the Southeast Division lead.