It would be easy to put this one on the goalie, who did not have his best game but the defense was absolutely shameful. Mike Green made Thomas Vanek look All-World as he went around him and scored on the first shot of the game. From there it didn't get any better. The Caps took eight minor penalties with Buffalo converting once. Defensemen Shaone Morrisonn was injured and forced Sergei Fedorov back to blue line duty. Morrisonn was taken to the hospital but did return with the team to Washington. The Capitals expect Alex Ovechkin to return to the team on Monday, not soon enough.
- John Erskine and David Steckel were the only two Caps not to register a minus rating in the game.
- Jose Theodore stopped 22 of 27 shots in the loss.
- Michael Nylander recorded his 1,600th career shot on goal.
- Tomas Fleischmann ringing the cross bar and Nylander hitting the post was the closest any Cap came to scoring.
- The Caps recorded 29 shots on goal. They also missed 10 shots and had 17 shots blocked.
- On the power play the Caps were 0 for 5 including over a minute of a 5-on-3 advantage.