Shop for Washington Capitals Gear at Shop.NHLcom!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Capitals 3 Hurricanes 2 (OT)

The Washington Capitals pulled an overtime win out last evening. After allowing Carolina to pull even in the third period, the Caps killed off an early Carolina power play in overtime to set the stage for Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom. (For Eli) According to the Canadian Press, Green went on an end to end rush through the Carolina defense and found Backstrom for the game winning goal with 1:24 left. The Caps, now winners of two straight games, have scored first in each preseason game and seem to be growing in confidence. They will need it as they head to Philadelphia tonight to face the Flyers.

Of Note:
  • Mike Green had his second multi-point game of the preseason and has 2 goals and 4 assists in 4 games.
  • Nicklas Backstrom scored his second goal of the preseason, both against Carolina.
  • David Steckel was a monster in the face off dot. He won 12 of 17 (71%) and won 10 of 15 draws against face off stud Rod Brind'Amour.
  • The power play scored again, as Victor Kozlov redirected an Alex Ovechkin shot for a goal in the second period. Tom Poti also assisted on the play.
  • The penalty killers did not allow a goal in 6 attempts and the team did not allow any 5 on 3 penalties.
  • Each game in the preseason has been decided by 1 goal.
Links to Scoresheets: Boxscore, Super Stats

The Caps are still a young team but it seems like Mike Green is taking some steps this preseason to show everyone he belongs in the NHL. The Caps have 10 defensemen vying for seven spots in camp right now. The Caps have three preseason games left and having to make tough calls on personnel shows me that talent level has risen and we should have a much more competitive defense this year.

2 comments:

Eli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joe said...

Mr. Eli, I do wish to respond to your comments. To be honest, I never read that particular Canadian Press Story you referred me to and I am not in the business of trying to cut and paste this blog together. I listened to the game, and I read different accounts of the deciding goal and tried to put it in my own words. I know I rewrote that sentence 4 or 5 times. I stand by my work. If I use a specific piece from another source I note it, check the rest of my blog, its all over the place. I'm sorry if you feel I have committed some injustice but I am just trying to present my own view on my favorite team. I hope you continue to read my blog in the future and can see that.

Add This