- Alexander Semin was the game's #1 Star with the overtime game-winning goal, 1 assist and hopefully has put last year's goalless performance out of his mind. I believe he will be the key to victory in this series.
- Michal Neuvirth's play off debut was a good one. He stopped 24 of the 25 shots he faced including 6 in the overtime period. His good early saves really sparked the Capitals game. Look for him to build more confidence off of this victory.
- Both teams had 2 power play attempts and both teams came up empty. Overall the game was physical but cleanly played and their were no egregiously missed calls.
- The tandem of John Carlson and Karl Alzner played well with Alzner blocking a game high 8 shots and Carlson picking up 4 hits and 2 shots on goal.
- Scott Hannan is quietly making his presents felt. He blocked 4 shots and absolutely abused players looking to get down the boards on him. I really like the way he plays, tough hard-nosed hockey.
- Mike Green played 26:30 in his return from injury and looked real steady out there. His puck handling abilities are a definite plus to the team. He finished the night with an assist on the Ovechkin goal, 4 shots on goal, 1 hit, 1 takeaway and 4 blocked shots.
- The Rangers led the league in blocked shots this year but not to be outdone the Caps blocked 32 to the Rangers 28 in Game 1.
- Alex Ovechkin scored the game tying goal and had 6 shots on goal, 6 hits and 1 blocked shot. He now has 21 goals in 29 career playoff games.