- John Carlson had to step up for the injured Dennis Wideman. The rookie had 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 blocked shot and 4 shots on goal.
- Alex Ovechkin and Jason Arnott each recorded their first points since coming back from injury. Ovechkin made a nice pass to Nicklas Backstrom who fired a shot on goal that rebounded to Mike Knuble who had stopped in the crease for the Capitals second goal. Arnott wired a one-timer set up by Marco Sturm to give the Caps a 3-2 lead.
- Michal Neuvirth made 20 saves on 23 shots on a night when the puck was taking all sorts of crazy bounces.
- Neither power play converted with the Caps at 0-for-1 and Columbus at 0-for-2.
- Jeff Schultz and Scott Hannan were +2 for the game.