- Alex Ovechkin finished the night with 2 goals and 1 assist for a 3 point night. The opening goal was his 10th game-winning goal of the season. With the 3 points he passes Michal Pivonka and moves into 3rd place on the Capitals All-Time Points list. His assist on the Eric Fehr power play goal was the 600th point of his career. He now has scored 16 points in his last 11 games.
- Jason Arnott set up Ovechkin's first goal with a fake shot and pass that gave AO a shot at an empty net. For Arnott it was his 900th career point.
- Eric Fehr returned from a shoulder injury and scored 2 goals. One on the power play and one on a feed from Jason Chimera who outlasted a goalie challenge near the Edmonton blue line.
- The Caps dominated the shots on goal 36 to 22.
- All three trade deadline acquisitions had an assist in the game with Marco Sturm picking up his first point as a Capital and Dennis Wideman picking up career point #200.
- Alexander Semin scored a goal in his third consecutive game with a pretty two-on-one with Sturm.
- Marcus Johansson assisted on Ovechkin's second goal when Ovechkin stole the puck and he and Johansson went 2-on-none against the goalie. After two back and forth passes Ovechkin buried the puck top shelf.
- The Caps went 2 for 5 on the power play and stopped all 4 Edmonton attempts.
- Other Caps picking up assists were Semin, Carlson, and Laich.
- Jeff Schultz was +2.