- With 1 goal and 1 assist Ovechkin now has 50 career game-winning goals and 300 career assists. The goal was the 9th overtime game-winner of his career, extending his Washington team record.
- Brooks Laich scored his 14th goal of the season and scored goals in both games against the Islanders.
- Jason Arnott, Marco Sturm and Dennis Wideman, the newest members of the team, combined for 8 shots on goal and look to fit right in with the Capitals systems. It will take a bit of adjustment to fully integrate them into the lineup but first impressions were very good. There seems to already be some instant chemistry between Laich and Arnott on the second line.
- The Caps put 42 shot on goal to the Islanders 29. Ovechkin led the way with 8.
- Neither power play connected as the Caps failed on 2 attempts but killed off all 4 of the Islanders efforts.
- Karl Alzner must be singled out for some exceptional play on defense. He blocked 7 shots on the night and was instrumental in limiting the scoring chances of the Islanders in the second period.