In a game they should have won, Washington gave up the lead early and had no answer for the New Jersey Devils. The 5-0 shutout is the third loss in a row for the Caps. Capitals goalie Braden Holtby gave up 3 first period goals including a late penalty shot. The second period was no better as the Devils put two more on the board for 5 in the first 15-minutes on the contest. The Caps simply could not manufacture any offense all night long. The team went 0 for 3 on the power play where they only mustered 4 shots on goal. The Caps are in need of some work on the fundamentals as they have given up 14 goals in their last 3 games and were shutout twice. The Caps need to make a shift in their play soon as they are in Raleigh on Wednesday for a date with the Hurricanes.
- Braden Holtby took the loss stopping 18 of 23 shots. Meanwhile, his team was stopped on all 30 shots fired at the New Jersey net.
- The Capitals penalty killers allowed one goal on two attempts but the goal was the first of the game at 5:49 in the first period.
- Eric Fehr and Alex Ovechkin led the team with 5 hits each.
- Defenseman Tyler Sloan was injured in the first period and left the game with only 3:25 of ice time.
- As a team, Washington blocked 3 shots in the game. However, New Jersey wasn't much better with 6.