The second period looked more like the team we were all excited about. Chicago was hemmed in their end for most of the period and steady goal tending by Jose Theodore who stopped all 6 shots he faced in the period. Alex Ovechkin knotted the score at 2-2 with a wrist rocket from the high slot. In the third period you got that inevitable feeling as the Caps poured on 16 shots and finally took their first lead of the season on a reviewed goal from Brooks Laich. With the Blackhawks scrambling, Ovechkin sealed the deal with his second goal of the game at 18:24. The Caps are back in action on Monday against Vancouver.
- All six goals were scored at even strength. The Caps had 4 power play attemps and Chicago had 5.
- The 2-goal effort by Ovechkin was his 31st multiple goal game in his career.
- Alexander Semin had a nice assist on Laich's goal and leads the team with 4 points.
- David Steckel, Donald Brashear, Tom Poti, Jeff Schultz, and Jose Theodore also assisted on Capitals' goals.
- The team was much better in the face-off circle tonight winning 50% of the draws. Sergei Fedorov led the Caps winning 13 and losing 4.
- The Capitals outshot the Hawks 34-21. After allowing 10 first period shots the Caps allowed only 11 in the second and third combined.