The Caps once again had to call up a member of the Hershey Bears as Eric Fehr injured his shoulder in Saturday's victory in Toronto. This time the AHL's leading goal scorer, Alexandre Giroux, got the call. Since November 14th, the Caps have suffered injuries to 11 players. Those 11 have combined to miss 61 man-games of action. In that time the Caps have played 13 games with a 6-6-1 record. The Caps next play Boston on Wednesday at Verizon Center.
- Nicklas Backstrom scored the only goal of the game for the Caps. The goal was Backstrom's 8th goal of the season.
- Alex Ovechkin picked up the primary assist on Backstrom's goal for his team leading 35th point. Ovechkin failed to convert a penalty shot in the second period. He is 0 for 5 in penalty shots in his career.
- The Caps out shot the Canes 39-25 but were out drawn in the face-off dot 20-34.
- Jose Theodore got a secondary assist on the Cap's goal. He stopped 22 of 25 shots in the loss.
- The Caps have now used 31 different players in the line-up this season.