As for the Caps, they just couldn't put it all together tonight. The ice looked choppy and the timing was not there. They seemed unable to capitalize on their chances. In the first period, Brooks Laich opened the scoring when he tapped in a sweet passing play from Tomas Fleischmann and Alexander Semin. However, five minutes later Fleischmann coughed up the puck at his own blue line and the Thrashers tied it up. The one bright spot for the Caps was the play of their young goalie Michael Nuevirth. Nuevirth made several sparkling saves and held the Caps in the game until late in the second when he was beaten on a deflected shot. he then had to face Evander Kane on a penalty shot when Mike Green was called for covering the puck in the crease. I don't know how the ref could make that call because from the replay Green looked as if he swiped the puck but I guess it doesn't matter and Atlanta converted on the penalty shot. The Caps got within one goal 8-minutes into the third as Alex Ovechkin made a nice shot fake and passed to Mike Knuble on a 2-on-1. Knuble buried the puck and the Caps were within striking distance. The Thrashers replied at the 15-minute mark with another deflection goal. The Caps took a penalty with 3-minutes left and that was it. The team heads back to Washington for their home opener with New Jersey tomorrow night.
- Matt Hendricks and rookie Marcus Johansson made their debuts in a Capitals uniform. Hendricks played well with 1 shot on goal, 1 hit, 1 takeaway and 2 blocked shots. Johansson played a solid 2-way game with some nice passing but needs to work on the face-offs, he won 1 of 8 draws. Hey Marcus, see David Steckel who was like second in the league last year.
- Nuevirth stopped 27 of 31 shots in the game.
- Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green, Tomas Fleischmann, and Alexander Semin each recored an assist.
- Jeff Schultz was +1.
- Both teams were 0-for-3 on the power play.
- And for those who keep track of such things. Of course Ovechkin wore the "C" as captain, the "A" was worn by Nicklas Backstrom and Jason Chimera.